Carrathool Shire Council is custodian to a wide range of key public infrastructure assets. Infrastructure is an important support mechanism for our daily living in, working in and visiting the Carrathool Shire. Council strives to manage these assets so as to provide relevant services that are valued by our residents, businesses and visitors.
Council faces many challenges as a remote rural Council. Residents in our towns & villages look for a wide range of urban services. Our rural producers need heavy vehicle transportation links for lower freight costs and in many cases access to water supply security. The transport sector looks to Council for safe & well-maintained roads providing with truck-stops. A number of Council Departments are responsible for managing & maintaining the various infrastructure assets.
Public infrastructure owned & maintained by Carrathool Shire Council includes:
- Roads, bridges, footpaths, stormwater drainage systems & flood mitigation levees
- Urban water & sewerage reticulation and management networks
- Extensive rural stock & domestic water supply networks to support local primary producers
- Modern and inviting caravan parks in Hillston & Goolgowi
- Community centres & halls in Hillston, Goolgowi, Merriwagga, Carrathool & Rankins Springs
- A 1.3km sealed aerodrome supported by radio-activated landing lights in Hillston
- Well kept Parks & Reserves with play equipment, shade structures in all towns & villages, most with BBQ's
- A network of landfills and waste transfer stations across the Shire
- A well maintained graded dirt aeroplane landing strip in Goolgowi
- Public swimming centres in Hillston & Goolgowi
- Flood mitigation levees in Hillston
- A modern well-equipped library in Hillston
- A modern well-equipped medical centre and community health centre facility
Council also maintains radio networks in the UHF & VHF bands for operational uses including emergency management and provides an analogue TV signal re-transmitter in Hillston.
To get through the large amount of construction and maintenance activity needed across the 20,000 sq kilometres of the Shire, Council operates two major Works Depots in Hillston & Goolgowi and a secondary Depot in Rankins Springs village. A substantial fleet of graders, rollers, trucks, compactors, back-hoes, mowers, slashers, waste & litter collection vehicles, general fleet vehicles and a wide range of other plant & equipment is required.