Carrathool Town Map (PDF)
Carrathool was once a bustling country town of several hundred people, surrounded by large merino properties and with a railhead serving an enormous area.
The village of Carrathool was originally located on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River. During the 1850s Carrathool was one of the earliest river port towns established along the river to serve paddle steamer traffic on the river.
In 1882, with the arrival of the railway, a new village was established two miles north of the river. Carrathool was proclaimed on 20 March 1885, and became the railhead for an extensive area. Enormous quantities of wool, wheat, timber and livestock were shipped on rail there.
Take a drive over the historic Carrathool Bridge, one of the last lifting bridges remaining in Australia. Built to replace the punt, the heritage-listed bascule lift span bridge was completed in 1922 and the lift span last opened for river traffic in the 1930s.
Learn more of Carrathool's pastoral history by following the heritage markers around the village.
Visitors to Carrathool can make use of the local park, or stop for a cold drink at the Family Hotel. Pinker's Beach on the Murrumbidgee River is an attractive sandy beach perfect for picnics and rest stops, or to throw a line in for a spot of fishing.
The highlight of the district calendar is the Carrathool Races, held annually in February. This race meet, also known as "The Best of the Bough Shed Tracks", attracts up to 2000 race goers annually, and has been running for over one hundred and twenty five years.
DID YOU KNOW?
Carrathool is home to the historic sheep grazing property Uardry, whose ram once featured on the one shilling piece