Developmental Applications

DA Tracker - Track the progress of Development Applications from lodgement through to determination via our online DA Tracker.

The provisions of the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Act require Council approval for most developments within the Shire.  Development such as the use of land, the construction or alteration of a buildings or structure together with the subdivision of land, requires the consent of Council prior to any work commencing.

Council's Building and Regulatory Services Department are available to assist residents/ratepayers in lodging Development Applications and can be contacted by phoning the Carrathool Office of Council on (02) 6965 1900.

Before you make any changes to a building or occupy premises, you need to check with Council whether the proposal is "Development" and requires the consent of Council. Some minor works called "Exempt Development" may not require approval provided it meets certain criteria included in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.  Development not covered by the SEPP (Exempt and Complying Development) 2008 will be subject to the criteria in Carrathool Shire Council's Exempt Development Control Plan 2000.  All other development requires the submission of a Development Application with the consent authority.

What is required with a Development Application?
Firstly you should visit or contact Council's Building and Regulatory Services Department and check with the staff:

  • Whether a Development Application is required;
  • Whether the proposal is permissible;
  • How Council's codes and policies may affect the proposal;
  • Obtain copies of the information necessary to submit a Development Application. This includes the Development Application form.

Lodging a Development Application
A Development Application form is required to be submitted with additional information to ensure that Council has sufficient  information to determine the likely impacts of a proposal, including compliance with codes and policies. Such information may include, but is not limited to:

  • A completed Development Application form
  • Three (3) copies of plans showing: - Site Plan - Elevations - Representative cross sections and long sections - Floor Plan - Landscaping Plan
  • Statement of Environmental Effects
  • Application Fees (based on the total estimated cost of the development);
  • Written authority of all the owners of the land to which the application relates

Development Application Guide
Development Application Supplement


Carrathool Shire Council have a number of forms that are required when processing development applications.
Please note as original signatures are required you are not able to submit these forms electronically. Forms can be printed and submitted to Council's offices in Goolgowi and Hillston for consideration.

Application for Development/ Construction Certificate and Complying Development Form