Goolgowi Town Map (PDF)
Situated at the crossroads of the Mid Western Highway and Kidman Way, the village of Goolgowi was settled in 1925, following the development of the railway line between Griffith and Hillston.
Located on the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area, Goolgowi is essentially a wheat farming and grazing area; however in the past decade the industry has diversified to include olives, walnuts, grapes, lettuce and a prime cattle feedlot.
Art and History
The soft sculpture curtain, created by a number of local women in 1988, commemorates Goolgowi's pioneers and history, and depicts the various aspects of the settlement, and development of the district. The sculpture, located at the Goolgowi Hall, can be viewed by contacting the Carrathool Shire Council Office in Goolgowi.
Follow the heritage trail around the village to discover the history of Goolgowi. Located outside the Carrathool Shire Council Office are five panels, installed to celebrate the Council's Centenary in 2006. Each of the panels is dedicated to one of the five towns and villages within Carrathool Shire.
Goolgowi services the surrounding farming district, and as such offers a variety of services, including two motels, service station, general store and post office, ex-servicemen's club, pub and Caravan Park. Through local fundraising Goolgowi is fortunate enough to have a twenty-five metre, solar heated swimming pool, open from November to March annually, and a free community barbeque, located at the Pioneer Memorial Park. There are also two children's playgrounds situated within the village- a great place to stop and stretch the legs on those long journeys.
Did you know?
Famous horse trainer Tommy "TJ" Smith was raised in Goolgowi, where his parents owned the local butchers store. The shop still stands today but is unused.
Gunbar Pioneer Memorial Church
Approximately 29 kilometres south west of Goolgowi is the historic Gunbar Pioneer Memorial Church. The Church was officially opened in July 1934, with local families voluntarily assisting with the construction of the building and donating the interior furnishings. The Church has eight beautiful stained glass windows depicting the pioneer families of the Gunbar District.
For more information on the history of Gunbar, follow the heritage markers around the remains of the village.